+8 pips = $4.00

01.14.10

6 Trades

5W - 1L

I think I'm seeing evidence that picking up poker as a hobby is starting to positively affect my trading. In poker often times you must fold a good hand to a better hand. The catch is that you don't know if you're folding to a better hand when you make the fold. You're only going on your best guess. No matter how good a player becomes in poker they'll always be operating from their best guess and they'll always be folding to hands that they could've beat if they didn't fold. Finding yourself in a position where you're folding to a weaker hand is simply part of the game.

In trading often times after I get out of a position it keeps going in a positive direction. The catch is that I didn't know it was going to keep going in my direction when I got out. I'm only going on my best guess. No matter how good of a trader I become I'll always be operating from my best guess and I'll always be getting out of a trade that ends up going further in my favor after I exit. Finding myself in a position where I'm exiting with price continuing to move in my direction after I exit is simply part of the game.


2 comments:

  1. Nice post Harvey,
    As the promoter of the TexasHoldemInvesting.com concept of investor education I'm always encouraged to see traders compare poker and investing.
    TexasHoldemInvesting.com is based on teaching investing and trading through the medium of poker.
    I've written extensively on this subject at my site and I would welcome feedback from you or your readers.
    I do like your comparison above as it is a classic case where a somewhat difficult trading concept (don't follow your trades after you have exited because you will only punish yourself) can be explained to a non-investor using poker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like an interesting website.

    ReplyDelete